Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Early access to Apprenticeships Re-boot


Hon Steven Joyce
Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills & Employment
6 March 2013 Media Statement
Early access to Apprenticeships Re-boot

New apprentices will be able to access the Government’s re-boot subsidy towards tools and off-job costs and start training sooner, following an announcement today by Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment Minister Steven Joyce.

The ‘Apprenticeships Re-boot’ which was due to start on April 1, will instead commence immediately.

“The feedback we’ve had is that there are new apprentices keen to get in there and start training and employers who are eager to take them on, so rather than wait until April, we have brought the start date of the re-boot subsidy eligibility forward,” Mr Joyce says.

“This means that the first 10,000 new apprentices who enrol from today will be able to get a grant of $1,000 towards their tools and off-job costs, or $2,000 if they are in priority trades. Employers will receive a payment of the same amount for each apprentice they take on.

“There is a big opportunity over the next few years – particularly with the rebuilding of Christchurch – to train more New Zealanders in vocational careers that will set them up well for their working lives. This subsidy is part of our New Zealand Apprenticeship reforms which are creating a simpler, more effective, vocational training system in New Zealand.”

The re-boot subsidy will be payable to:
- New Modern Apprentices at Level 3 and 4 in 2013 only, and
- All industry trainees enrolled in a programme of study at Level 4 of 120 credits or more in 2013 and beyond

Modern Apprentices and industry trainees must be employed and actively training for 90 days before they receive the payment.

By rebooting apprenticeships the Government estimates there will be an additional 14,000 new apprentices starting training over the next five years – over and above the 7000 who normally enrol every year.

http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1303/Industry_Training_Review_appendix_1.pdf

http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1303/Cabinet_Paper.pdf

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news