Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


New unit to clear Novopay backlog

Hon Steven Joyce
Minister Responsible for Novopay

New unit to clear Novopay backlog

Minister Responsible for Novopay Steven Joyce has announced the establishment of a new expanded Novopay Backlog Clearance Unit to speed up the clearance of issues that have built up during the first six months of operation of the system.

The Backlog Clearance Unit will be made up of 100 staff from the Ministry of Education and Talent2 and will operate with the express purpose of clearing the backlog of work relating to previous Novopay pay periods.

That work includes salary assessments, calculation and recovery of overpayments, and the correction of errors from previous pay periods.

Mr Joyce says significant extra staff and resources over the last six weeks has meant progress has been made with the processing of each pay period as it falls due. The next focus is to clear the backlog of outstanding issues from previous pay periods.

“Up until now we have had around 40 people working on the backlog, and they haven't been able to make enough progress. The new BCU of 100 will more than double the number of people doing the work and ensure they are expressly dedicated to clearing the backlog. The goal is to have the entire backlog reduced to business as usual level within three months,” Mr Joyce says.

“The unit will remain in place for six months to ensure we remain on top of the workload and give schools confidence that their payroll will be accurate and their staff will be paid correctly.”

The Backlog Clearance Unit will commence operations on Monday 11 March and ramp up to full strength over the next fortnight. Schools will be briefed on what it means for them in the next week.

Resources for the new unit will come from the $5 million remediation fund Cabinet agreed to last month to provide solutions on Novopay.

“This is another part of the plan to resolve the issues with Novopay as quickly as possible,” Mr Joyce says.

“Final decisions are yet to be made on the shape of the future delivery of the school pay service but this backlog needs to be cleared regardless of the path we take.”

ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news