Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Rule change makes school bus run easier

Rule change makes school bus run easier


A rule change will make the school bus run easier for some parents with children from the same family no longer being separated, Associate Education Minister Nikki Kaye said today.


“The change increases eligibility for school transport assistance to when a student reaches Year 9 (the first year of secondary school), rather than have a cut-off based on age 10,” Ms Kaye said.


“We found the original rule dated back to the early 1900s. While transport has changed since then, the rule hadn’t. It meant that once a child reached age 10, they were no longer eligible for the same service and we had situations where students from the same family couldn’t catch the same bus for free, even though they were attending the same school.


“Understandably, some parents have been frustrated by this outdated rule and while it is important to note that not all students qualify for school transport assistance, this will make life easier for those that do

.

“The new rule will be in place from the beginning of Term 2, from Monday 6 May.


"I estimate that over 4000 more children will be eligible for school transport assistance as a result of the change."


The new school transport assistance eligibility rule applies to students who are in Years 1-8 and live more than 3.2km from their nearest appropriate school, or in Years 9 or above and live more than 4.8km from their nearest appropriate school.


Eligible students are offered either a place on a Ministry of Education funded bus, or their parents can apply for a conveyance allowance to help with travel costs.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

 
 

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news