Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


Govt steps up Christchurch housing response

Hon Dr Nick Smith
Minister of Housing

4 April 2013

Govt steps up Christchurch housing response

Forty new houses are to be constructed at the Rangers Park subdivision to provide additional temporary accommodation and help revitalise Christchurch’s eastern suburbs, Minister of Housing Dr Nick Smith announced today.

“This development of 40 new homes will be used to increase the supply of temporary accommodation for families as the rebuild gains momentum. It will enable people to maintain their work, school and community links in their local area while their repairs and rebuilds are being carried out.

“The new two, three and four bedroom homes will add to the 83 accommodation units managed by the Canterbury Earthquake Temporary Accommodation Service (CETAS) already established at Linwood Park, Kaiapoi Domain and Rāwhiti Domain. More than 300 Canterbury households have already been supported to date through this initiative.

“This development is different to the three existing temporary villages in that they will be new permanent homes that will be sold once demand for temporary accommodation has lessened. This is about the Government leading by example and investing in the revitalisation of the eastern suburbs. It will also bring to market, in time, housing in the affordable range for Christchurch families,” Dr Smith said.

“The new homes are to be built by Hawkins Construction starting this month, and are expected to be completed in November. The $12.5 million cost is being funded by the Government and will be offset by rent and any future house sales.

“This Rangers Park initiative is part of the Government’s broader programme of assistance to help with Christchurch’s housing challenges,” said Dr Smith.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news