Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Govt files supplementary disclosure on Mighty River Power

Hon Bill English

Minister of Finance

Hon Tony Ryall

Minister for State Owned Enterprises



22 April 2013 Media Statement

Government files supplementary disclosure on Mighty River Power

The Government and Mighty River Power are filing a supplementary disclosure to the Mighty River Power offer document, say Finance Minister Bill English and State Owned Enterprises Minister Tony Ryall.

The document is being lodged with the Registrar of Financial Service Providers this afternoon.

“The existing MRP offer document already outlined the principal risks associated with an investment in MRP shares,” Mr English says.

“That covered the risk that changes in the regulatory environment, including for the wholesale or retail electricity market, may affect the company.

“However, we received advice that the recent Labour/Greens proposal, if they were elected, to effectively replace competition with a state agency to act as a single buyer of wholesale electricity from generators, could be material to decisions to invest in Mighty River Power shares.

“Our advice is also that if Labour/ Greens had announced this policy before the offer began, their announcement would have been referred to in the offer document submitted to the FMA.

“The supplementary disclosure sets out the additional information so that prospective investors can factor that into their decision making,” Mr English says.

Mr Ryall says the Government has always said that New Zealanders should consider the share offer opportunity carefully before making their own decisions.

“That advice hasn’t changed,” Mr Ryall says.

“As a consequence of the rules governing supplementary disclosure, the share offer website has been temporarily suspended until tomorrow morning when it will re-open with the new disclosure added, but with all other details of the offer remaining the same, including the closing time of 5pm on Friday 3 May.

“The rules also require that New Zealanders who have already applied for shares may withdraw their applications if they choose. Withdrawals will be accepted for five working days.

“The MRP share offer is firmly on track. As we said at the time the offer was launched, MRP is a proud New Zealand company and the Government is confident in its future as a listed company,” Mr Ryall says.

ENDS

What happens next?


There are a number of procedural steps that need to be followed:


1. The supplementary disclosure document is being lodged with the Registrar of Financial Service Providers this afternoon, and is being published on the Companies Office website.

2. Mighty River Power is issuing a notice through the NZX to inform the market of the supplementary disclosure

3. The offer website (www.mightyrivershares.govt.nz) is temporarily suspended until just after midnight tonight. No applications for shares will be accepted until the website is turned back on.

4. From tomorrow (12.01am Tuesday 23 April) the website will carry the disclosure document and further information. Investors will be able to apply for shares again, and New Zealanders who had already applied are able to withdraw their application if they wish.

5. Withdrawals are accepted for five working days (until 1 May 2013).

6. Advertisements will be run in the major newspapers on Tuesday 23 April to inform New Zealanders of the supplementary disclosure.


What do investors need to do if they wish to withdraw their application?


Withdrawals can be made by calling 0800 90 30 90 (after 8am on Tuesday) or online via the www.mightyrivershares.govt.nz website after midnight tonight. As noted above, the website will be temporarily suspended for the rest of today.


An applicant who withdraws is permitted to re-apply. If they pre-registered, they will still benefit from the preferential allocation rights.


Refunds are required to be paid within ten business days of allotment (so they are expected to be paid between 14 and 28 May 2013).


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Gordon Campbell: On Where Greece Goes From Here

As one candid British commentator tried to come to grips with why his confident prediction of a “Yes” vote in Greece has failed so resoundingly, he said that he’d made that prediction from his own viewpoint – as someone with savings to protect. But most Greek people, he suddenly realised, didn’t have that concern anymore after five years of austerity. Duh. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Cabinet Presser: EQC Reform, Greece & Surplus Stimulation

Prime Minister John key discussed proposals for reform of the EQC act and the Greek economic crisis at a press conference in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

GCSB/NZSIS: Intelligence And Security Reviewers Seek Public’s Views

“We are seeking public submissions to help us determine what issues to focus on during the review,” says Sir Michael Cullen. “We want to hear your views on what the GCSB and NZSIS should be doing to protect New Zealand and how they should do it.” More>>

Education: Schools Funded To Trial Innovative Approaches

Education Minister Hekia Parata has announced the successful applicants for a new $10 million fund to encourage innovative teaching practices. “I’m delighted with the quality of the 39 projects that have won funding in the first round of the Teacher-led Innovation Fund worth a total of about $2.6 million,” says Ms Parata. More>>

ALSO:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news