Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


DOC ‘consultation’ nothing of the sort


Ruth

DYSON

Conservation Spokesperson

23 April 2013 MEDIA STATEMENT
DOC ‘consultation’ nothing of the sort
The Department of Conservation has shown absolute contempt for the consultation process around staff losses and changes, and has made itself a sitting target for a legal challenge, Labour’s Conservation spokesperson Ruth Dyson says.

“The massive restructuring, which impacts on every region of the country, has allowed just 12 working days for this consultation to occur.

“DOC received more than 1000 submissions on plans to reduce 11 regions to six, yet the department has just announced that its overall restructuring plan will go ahead in basically the same shape was it was when it was originally proposed late last month.

“It is not credible that every one of those submissions has been read and considered, yet that is exactly what a process of consultation requires.

“The Department is also saying it got it 98 per cent right and all those opposed to the focus and specifics of the restructuring got it wrong.

“I disagree. The submitters who argued that the primary functions of advocacy and conservation management need to be restored to the Department, and that staff should be adequately resourced to perform those jobs well, got it exactly right.

“At the same time DOC is being forced to rattle the begging bowls to perform statutory functions - such as pest control – and axing frontline staff, John Key is funding advertising campaigns to attract tourists.

“Our natural estate – at the heart of our clean, green image – is the very reason people visit this country. Yet right now the very department charged with looking after our public land is getting its throat cut.

“The Government has its priorities wrong. We need a properly resourced Conservation Department. It has been forced to go through a sham of a consultation process and many critical jobs will now be lost.

“New Zealand will be the loser,” Ruth Dyson concluded.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news