Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Key fails to keep jobs promise

9 May 2013

Key fails to keep jobs promise

The latest figures show a minimal net increase in jobs at a time when John Key promised an employment boom, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei said today.

The Household Labour Force Survey shows an increase of 8,000 in the number of New Zealanders employed in the year to March 2013. Budget 2011 projected an increase of 57,000 in the same time period while Budget 2012 forecast a 33,000 increase.

“Before the last election, National promised that there would be 57,000 more jobs in the year to March 2013. Instead, they’ve delivered just 8,000. That wasn’t even enough to keep up with the growing population,” said Mrs Turei.

“It’s another case of John Key promising big and not delivering - just like ‘closing the gap with Australia’ and ‘mum and dad investors in Mighty River Power’.

“The unemployment rate has only fallen because people are giving up looking for a job and leaving the labour force altogether. The working age population grew by 30,000 last year but the number of people working or actively looking for work fell by 7,000.

“The number of manufacturing jobs fell by 11,000 in the past year. The sector is clearly in crisis and the over-valued exchange rate is hurting businesses.

“This week, John Key admitted he has no idea how to turn around Wellington’s economy. These figures show he has no plan for the rest of the economy either.

“The Green plan will get the economy working and create jobs. We’ll build affordable homes and insulate existing houses; we’ll reduce electricity prices for families and businesses; we’ll get the dollar down and back sustainable exporters; we’ll invest in R&D and a second internet cable; and we’ll make sure government agencies buy New Zealand made whenever possible,” said Mrs Turei.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news