Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Interim decisions for five Aranui schools

Hon Hekia Parata
Minister of Education

22 May 2013 Media Statement
Interim decisions for five Aranui schools

Education Minister Hekia Parata has today announced the interim decisions for the five Aranui schools in greater Christchurch affected by the Government’s Education Renewal Plans.

“The Government is absolutely committed to rebuilding Christchurch – that’s why we are investing $1 billion into restoring and renewing the education sector in Canterbury over the next 10 years,” Ms Parata says.

“Greater Christchurch will have one of the most modern schooling networks in the country that will serve communities for many years to come, and help each and every child get a great education.

“We have listened to parents and the community and I thank the Aranui community for their participation in the process, and the work each school put into their submission.’’

The interim decision is that:

• A Year 1-13 Campus should be built on the current Aranui High School site.

• Four schools – Aranui High School, Wainoni Primary, Aranui Primary and Avondale Primary – should close in January 2017.

• Chisnallwood Intermediate should remain open, and continue to operate as normal on its current site, with a review in 2020, once all other changes have bedded in.

“The proposal for a new campus originally included all five schools in the Aranui area. In reviewing the submissions and undertaking further analysis – with a focus on ensuring an exciting brand new education concept for Aranui children – we can achieve this and maintain a strong intermediate option in Chisnallwood.

“Two thirds of the children that attend Chisnallwood are from outside the Aranui area.

“My interim decision is that Chisnallwood Intermediate should remain open on its current site and will be reviewed in 2020 after the new campus and other changes in the network are operating,” says Ms Parata.

“The plan is for the new Year 1-13 campus to open in January 2017 which is also when the four schools are proposed to close.”

The Aranui schools had an extended consultation timeframe until March 7..

“The single site approach means several schools of different levels operating on one site, with the opportunity to share resources. It is a model that operates successfully elsewhere in New Zealand, and provides continuity for students – and an opportunity to provide other services on site as well,’’ says Ms Parata.

Further consultation will now take place with the community on these interim decisions, and on the structure of the single site campus and the community facilities that could also be included such as a library, sports facilities, health and other social services.
“In making these interim decisions, I am mindful families in greater Christchurch have already been through a lot and I hope that today’s announcement will provide some certainty for this stage of the process.’’
The Aranui schools will now have six weeks to provide further feedback on the interim decision until 3 July 2013.

A final decision is expected in September.

For more information please go to www.minedu.govt.nz

ENDS

Note to Editors

Of the 215 schools in greater Christchurch, 177 schools, or more than 80 per cent, are not affected by the Government’s proposals.

In summary, of the 38 schools covered in the original proposals announced in September last year:

• 12 schools now have final decisions
o Burnham Primary School, Burnside Primary School, Duvauchelle School, Okains Bay School, Ouruhia Model School and Shirley Intermediate will remain open.
o Bromley School and Linwood Avenue Schools, and Yaldhurst Model and Gilberthorpe Schools will not be merged.
o Discovery One School and Unlimited Paenga Tawhiti schools’ will be merged.

• 21 schools now have interim decisions to close or merge
o Of these 21 schools, 7 should close, 10 should merge (to create five schools), and four schools should form a new Year 1-13 campus
o The seven schools that have interim decisions to close are Branston Intermediate, Glenmoor, Greenpark, Kendal, Linwood Intermediate, Manning Intermediate and Richmond.
o The 10 schools that should merge to create five schools are Burwood should merge with Windsor, Central New Brighton should merge with South New Brighton, Lyttleton Main should merge with Lyttelton West, North New Brighton should merge with Freeville, Phillipstown should merge with Woolston.
o The four schools that have interim decisions to close and a new Year 1-13 campus established are: Aranui, Avondale, Wainoni, and Aranui High School.

Of the remaining 5 schools:

o It was originally proposed the two kura TKKM o Waitaha and TKKM o Te Whānau Tahi would merge however the interim decision is now for both kura to remain open and one to be relocated to provide Māori medium provision to north of Christchurch.
o Chisnallwood Intermediate now has an interim decision to remain open as a stand-alone school.
o Two schools have already closed voluntarily. Those schools are Hammersley Park and Le Bons Bay.

Final decisions for the 19 schools, which had interim decisions announced in February, will be announced by late May 2013.

The Aranui schools will now have six weeks to provide further feedback or accept the interim decision, until the 3 July 2013.

Final decisions are expected in September.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news