Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


National War Memorial Park on target

Hon Gerry Brownlee Minister of Transport
Hon Christopher Finlayson
Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage

29 May 2013 Media Statement

National War Memorial Park on target

Work towards the National War Memorial Park is progressing well and is on target for the opening to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landings on 25 April 2015, Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee and Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Christopher Finlayson said today.

“The trench, above which the National War Memorial Park will be developed, is now visible along Buckle Street.

“Moving State Highway 1 underground will create an appropriately peaceful environment, for quiet contemplation and remembrance in the park and the War Memorial precinct.

“This cut-and-cover design, approved by this Government, is what makes the National War Memorial Park design the best option for commemorating our nation’s military history,” Mr Brownlee says.

Mr Finlayson says it avoids the pitfalls of earlier concepts such as a state highway running next to the neighbouring primary school playground, and through the park itself.

“Although the design errors inherited by this government meant the start of construction was delayed, we are now well on track for the opening date of ANZAC Day 2015.”

Necessary contracts have now been signed between the Ministry of Culture and Heritage, which is developing the park, and NZTA, which is carrying out the road works which are integral to the project design.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news