Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


New defence agreement with Timor-Leste

New defence agreement with Timor-Leste

Defence Minister Dr Jonathan Coleman welcomes a new defence agreement with Timor-Leste, which reflects the strong ties between the two countries.

“This agreement signifies how our bilateral relationship has matured, and it builds on the close working relationship between the NZ Defence Force (NZDF) and the Falintil Forcas de Defesa Timor-Leste (F-FDTL),” Dr Coleman says.

The Timor-Leste Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Dr Jose Luis Guterres, and Dr Coleman, today signed a Status of Forces Agreement setting out the legal basis for NZDF activities in Timor-Leste and vice-versa. Previously, an individual agreement was required for each activity.

New Zealand has made a significant contribution to the security and stability of Timor-Leste. Over 4000 NZDF and NZ Police personnel have served in Timor-Leste, contributing to a number of missions since 1999.

“Security in Timor-Leste has evolved considerably in the last decade, and their police and military provide a stable and secure environment. New Zealand has played a key role assisting Timor-Leste since 1999, and we remain committed to Timor-Leste’s stability and future prosperity,” Dr Coleman says.

“The Status of Forces Agreement captures the warmth and maturity of the bilateral relationship between our two militaries. The F-FDTL is a valued partner and we are committed to maintaining our strong relationship.”

There are currently five NZDF personnel deployed as technical advisers to the F-FDTL, assisting with language training, personnel and logistics management advice, and small arms training.

New Zealand’s defence engagement is complemented by the Timor-Leste Community Policing Programme, a four year, $14.5 million, bilateral programme between NZ Police and the Policia Nacionale de Timor-Leste. This support is part of a $22 million Strategic Framework for Development with Timor–Leste focusing on private sector investment, education and training, security, and justice.

ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS News AlertsNews Alerts
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news