Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Home repairs hit halfway milestone

Hon Gerry Brownlee

Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery

Minister Responsible for the Earthquake Commission

27 June 2013  Media Statement

Home repairs hit halfway milestone

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says greater Christchurch’s 40,000th home has now been repaired – leaving EQC’s project managed home repair programme with around 40,000 homes to go.

“We established the managed home repair programme in October 2010 to coordinate the delivery of quality home repairs and support confidence in the region’s long term future,” Mr Brownlee says.

“This is being achieved, with Fletcher Construction winning a public tender to manage the programme, in doing so constraining cost inflation by setting a fair hourly rate for work while overseeing quality repairs.

“Around 1800 full home repairs are being completed each month – 60 a day – and with some 1300 contracting firms accredited, employing about 5000 tradesmen, the programme is in full swing.

“A major risk for Christchurch given the extent of residential damage was that confidence in the region’s housing stock would fall in the wake of earthquakes.

“Instead, we’ve instilled confidence, housing values have been maintained, and we’re working hard to address land and housing supply as Christchurch’s population grows.

“Confidence in the city is very high today, with recent immigration data showing Christchurch had a net population gain of 2600 last month, compared with a net loss of 2500 in May 2012 – that’s nearly 100 people a day. 

“Departures from the city are lower than at any time over the last decade.

“This delivers its own set of challenges, but they’re better challenges than we’d have faced if we hadn’t put responsible parameters around the repair of EQC clients’ homes.

“Cost inflation for materials and building work would have run rampant, poor workmanship would have been routine, and confidence in the recovery would have suffered as a result,” Mr Brownlee says.

The Canterbury Home Repair Programme aims to complete repairs of homes with the most severe damage by the end of this year, as well as repairing the homes of EQC’s most vulnerable claimants.  Overall, the aim is to have completed most repairs by the end of 2014.

EQC is currently writing to all customers in the Canterbury Home Repair Programme queue to let them know how their claim is progressing.

For more information on the programme visit www.eqc.govt.nz/canterbury-earthquakes/home-repair-process/chrp or www.eqr.co.nz

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Waitangi Tribunal: Report On The MV Rena

In its interim report, the Waitangi Tribunal has found that the Crown’s conduct in response to the grounding of the MV Rena on Otaiti (Astrolabe) reef breached the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza: Wellington Protest For Palestine Calls For End To Bombing

Around 300 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in Wellington on Friday to protest Israel’s occupation of Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Failure To Prosecute The GCSB

So one hand of the state – the Independent Police Conduct Authority – has now washed the hands of its brother agencies, and declared that all hands are clean. Case closed. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news