Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Govt confirms commitment to Refugee Quota


1 July 2013


Govt confirms commitment to Refugee Quota

Immigration Minister Michael Woodhouse has announced decisions on the size and regional balance for the upcoming three-year Refugee Quota Programme that begins today.

“I’m pleased to confirm that New Zealand will continue to resettle 750 Quota refugees each year, over the next three years,” says Mr Woodhouse.

“This retains the longstanding commitment of successive New Zealand governments to meet the needs of some of the world’s most vulnerable people, in what are tight economic times.

“The 750 annual Quota, places New Zealand sixth equal in the world for accepting refugees referred by the UNHCR.

“The Government spends around $58 million on resettling Quota refugees each year, so this is a serious commitment. It also comes on the back of new funding in Budget 2013 to support a $15 million rebuild of the Mangere Refugee Resettlement Centre by the end of 2014.”

Mr Woodhouse says that 40 per cent of the 750 places will be allocated to refugees from the Asia-Pacific region, and 40 per cent to refugees from the rest of the world – namely Africa, the Middle East, and the Americas.

The remaining twenty per cent – 150 places – will be allocated to refugees resettled in New Zealand as part of our agreement with Australia from 1 July 2014, as part of a regional approach to irregular migration.

“The new Refugee Quota Programme represents a valued contribution from New Zealand to the resettlement of vulnerable refugees, and seeks to maximise our support of vulnerable people in the Asia-Pacific region.”


ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news