Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Bennett wants kindy teachers to dob in beneficiaries

17 July 2013

Bennett wants kindy teachers to dob in beneficiaries

The National Government is expecting early childhood education (ECE) centres to monitor the attendance of beneficiary children and to "dob in" parents whose kids don't always attend so their benefits can be cut, information obtained by the Green Party shows.

New social obligations for beneficiary parents came into force on Monday, despite evidence from health officials and child advocates that the obligations will harm children and drive a wedge between agencies and families.

"Answers to my written questions from the Ministers of Social Development and Education show that from next year, the Ministry of Education will for the first time track every child's attendance at pre-school and, if those children's parents receive a benefit, that information is likely to be passed on to MSD,” Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei said today.

"It is completely inappropriate for preschool teachers to be used as de facto benefit police by MSD. That's effectively asking them to "dob in" the families who know and trust them. Anything that undermines the trusting relationship between teachers and families will only do those kids harm.

"Like the pokies-for-convention centre deal this is another case of the National Government ignoring warnings from its own officials about its policies endangering children.

In papers released to Mrs Turei under the Official Information Act last year, officials warned that the social obligations regime could lead to more child neglect and result in children needing hospital treatment; would undermine relationships between Well Child nurses and families; and warned that the Well Child programme would be "less effective" if parents were forced to participate in it.

"It is simply rubbish to argue that these obligations are good for children. The reason why children are not attending ECE is because there is no appropriate ECE in their area, they can't afford to get their kids there, or their parents think they will be genuinely better off at home.

"Parents who end up on a benefit for a period of time are just as capable of making decisions about what's appropriate for their little children as parents who work.

"If the National Government was serious about ensuring kids in low socio-economic areas attend early childhood education, it should establish quality services in the areas where these kids live.

“Social Development Minister Paula Bennett persists in saying that her draconian social obligations and benefit sanctions will be good for kids, but she has been told over and over again that they would actively harm children and their families.

"That she is expecting kindy and kohanga teachers to monitor the attendance of beneficiary kids in order to police these damaging ‘obligations’ is the last straw," Mrs Turei said.

Authorised by Metiria Turei, Parliament Buildings, Wellington

Responses to Green Party written questions:

Question: Will her Ministry seek access to specific information about the children of beneficiaries collected by the Ministry of Education for purposes associated with her new social obligations regime?

Portfolio: Social Development Minister: Hon Paula Bennett Date Lodged: 21/05/2013

Answer: The Ministry of Social Development will be rolling out implementation of social obligations from 15 July 2013. I am advised that MSD will continue to work with Ministry of Education on methods of information sharing. This is also my response to written parliamentary questions 6048 and 6050(2013).

Question: Further to her answer to question 06047, will any of the methods of information sharing she refers to involve using enrolment and attendance data collected by the Ministry of Education for purposes associated with her social obligations regime?

Portfolio: Social Development Minister: Hon Paula Bennett Date Lodged: 11/06/2013

Answer: The Ministry of Social Development has a number of agreements with the Ministry of Education around information sharing and common areas of work. While the changes and introduction of the social obligations regime are bedding in, including the requirement that children be enrolled in Early Childcare Education (ECE), MSD will be relying on referrals and on case management practices, including discussions with clients, to ensure they are making appropriate efforts to enrol their child in ECE. Over time, the potential to share information between MSD and the Ministry of Education, to support Early Childhood Education obligations and help improve outcomes for children, will be considered. Current arrangements in place are: • an Information Sharing Agreement to enable the sharing of information for the purposes of the Youth Services. Under the Information Sharing Agreement the Ministry of Education can supply the Ministry of Social Development with information about all individuals aged between 15 and 17 years who have ceased to be enrolled in school. • a schedule to the Memorandum of Understanding between Child, Youth and Family and the Ministry of Education entitled a Cross Agency Strategy for Children and Young People in Care to exchange education information between the two agencies about children in care. This is also my response to written parliamentary questions 7183, 7184, 7185, 7187, 7189 and 7190 (2013).
Question: Have any children aged under five years old been designated a National Student Number? If so what use has been made of any data collected?

Portfolio: Education Minister: Hon Hekia Parata Date Lodged: 21/05/2013

Answer Text: I am advised that children aged under five years old have been allocated National Student Numbers. No data has been generated from the allocation of this number. When the Early Learning Information system is fully implemented in 2014 the Ministry of Education will collect information on child enrolment and attendance in early childhood education.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Out Now: Werewolf Issue 41

Nanny National - Dotcomming The TPP - Feeling The Love For X Factor
First, They Came For Your Lightbulbs - Classics : Ernest and Celestine - Abortion, Against the Tide
Film: Gods and Monsters - Come Back, SR-71 Blackbird - Satire: Ars Tonga, Vita Brevis
The Complicatist : Bobby Bland R.I.P., Laura Marling


New Court Orders, Screening, Guardianship Changes...: Government Ignoring Poverty, Again

It remains to be seen if announcements today will better protect children, but the National Government is forgoing an opportunity to really help kids by ignoring the elephant in the room, which is poverty, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei says.

"All the experts have told the Government that very low income is associated with higher rates of child maltreatment and neglect -- something which was totally ignored in the Government's Children's Action Plan and the announcements today," Mrs Turei said. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration

United Future leader Peter Dunne has welcomed the Electoral Commission’s decision to re-register United Future as a political party. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers

The last stop for Generation Zero’s nationwide speaking tour on smart responses to climate change became a venue, in Wellington last night, for an attack on the Transport Agency’s plans for flyovers at the Basin Reserve. More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry

Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC. More>>

ALSO:

Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson says a crackdown on the importation of psychoactive substances shows targeted efforts by Customs are paying off. More>>

ALSO:

National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers

"Under our plan, we have protected the most vulnerable New Zealanders through difficult times, set a path back to surplus, and built a solid platform for growth." More>>

ALSO:

National Party Conference: Major Changes To RMA 'Undermine Environmental Safeguards'

Forest & Bird is describing the proposed changes to the core of the Resource Management Act as confirmation that the government's strategy is to create short term economic growth at the expense of the environment... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Smelter Deal, Fonterra And Iran

Well, it does seem that about $30 million is the kind of pocket money that the government has readily at hand to throw at foreign corporates – at Warners over The Hobbit, and now at Rio Tinto over the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. One would love to know how the size of these handouts – yes, this is corporate welfarism – are calculated. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news