|
| ||
Past time for John Key to accept responsibility |
||
Past time for John Key to accept responsibility
The release by Parliamentary Services of the full content of emails between a journalist and former Minister Peter Dunne is a result of pressure from the Prime Minister’s office, says Labour Leader David Shearer.
“There has previously never been any suggestion that the content of the emails had been passed on despite John Key having many opportunities to come clean about it.
“The defence that the correspondence was never read and attachments destroyed doesn’t wash. There is no way the emails were sent by ‘mistake’.
“This latest incident makes the claim that the release of Andrea Vance’s phone records by Parliamentary Services was ‘inadvertent’ utterly ridiculous.
“The papers show that Parliamentary Services did not want to release electronic records to the inquiry. They only did so after intervention from the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff.
“Despite John Key’s claim that he was only a ‘bit player’ in the Henry Inquiry it is clear his Chief of Staff was directing events.
“John Key has had to have the truth dragged out of him every step of the way in this saga. He is treating New Zealanders with disdain.
“Releasing these documents late on a Friday afternoon is a cynical attempt to manipulate the political process.
“Sadly this type of approach is becoming typical of the John Key Government.
“It’s time John Key stops looking for scapegoats and accepts responsibility for this shambles,” said David Shearer.
ends

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration
Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers
Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry
Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives
National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers
National Party Conference: Major Changes To RMA 'Undermine Environmental Safeguards'
Gordon Campbell: On The Smelter Deal, Fonterra And Iran
