Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Minister sat on power price rise info to avoid bad press

David SHEARER

Energy and Resources Spokesperson

3 October  2013       MEDIA STATEMENT  


Minister sat on power price rise information to avoid bad press

Energy Minister Simon Bridges delayed the release of information showing consumers were paying $50 more for their power in an apparent attempt to bury bad news, Labour’s Energy and Resources spokesperson David Shearer says.

“The May Quarterly Survey of Domestic Electricity Prices was due to be published in mid-June but was released a month late.

“It was released at 1pm on Thursday, July 11 – the last day Parliament sat before a two-week recess and too late for the Opposition or media to take the Government to task.

"The survey showed that in that quarter alone power prices had risen by 2.2 per cent, resulting in the average household bill rising by $50.

“Documents now obtained under the Official Information Act reveal the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment twice attempted to release the survey earlier despite the Minister telling Labour in response to written Parliamentary questions “there was no delay”.

“The documents also show Mr Bridges requested the July 11 release and signed off on the Ministry’s accompanying press release.

“The Government was clearly afraid of releasing the bad news given Labour’s NZ Power policy will see hundreds of dollars taken off Kiwi families’ bills while Mr Bridges continues to defend power prices as competitive and fair despite the massive increases.

“Mr Bridges is so arrogant he thinks he can hide bad news sitting on information Kiwis have a right to know,” David Shearer says.

Attached: OIAs and answers to written questions

WPQ: http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/pb/business/qwa/QWA_11386_2013/11386-2013-moana-mackey-to-the-minister-of-energy-and

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news