Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


NZ Govt must do all it can for Greenpeace activists

4 October 2013

NZ Govt must do all it can for Greenpeace activists

The New Zealand Government must use all means at its disposal to seek the release of two New Zealanders who have been charged with piracy in Russia, Green Party MP Gareth Hughes said today.

Two New Zealand Greenpeace activists involved in a Greenpeace protest in the Arctic, Jonathan Beauchamp and David Haussmann, have now been charged with piracy. The offence of piracy is punishable in Russia by up to 15 years in prison.

“The Dutch Government has taken a far stronger stance in defending its citizens rights than ours has up to this point,” Mr Hughes said.

The Dutch government last month called on Moscow to release the activists immediately and said it was considering legal action.

“The New Zealand Government needs to speak out on this issue and let the world know that we will not let our citizens rot in a Russian jail on trumped up charges of piracy.

“The Arctic is possibly the most important battleground in the climate fight, and it’s imperative that dangerous drilling, like that which the protestors were trying to highlight, doesn’t go ahead.

“Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs should be making the release of these brave activists one of their top priorities.

“The Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully needs to be in communication with the Russian ambassador on this matter.

“Russia wants to showcase itself to the world next year with the Winter Olympics. New Zealand needs to advise Russia that charging our citizens with piracy is not going to assist their image.

“Now is the time for the New Zealand Government to come out strongly to defend Jonathan Beauchamp and David Haussmann,” said Mr Hughes.

Note: Gareth Hughes will be in attendance at a protest outside the Russian embassy in Messines Road, Karori, Wellington Saturday October 5.  The protest begins at 1pm. 

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news