Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Ngārimu legacy inspires fresh paths to Māori success

Hon Hekia Parata

Minister of Education

Hon Dr Pita Sharples

Minister of Māori Affairs

Sunday 6 October 2013
 
Ngārimu legacy inspires fresh paths to Māori success

The Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship Fund Board has announced two new education initiatives as part of this year’s 70th anniversary celebrations of one of New Zealand’s greatest war heroes.
 
In recognition of the awarding of the Victoria Cross to Second Lieutenant Te Moana Nui a Kiwa Ngārimu, the Board will invest $250,000 into resourcing histories of each of the Māori Battalion's four rifle companies and related initiatives.
 
Education Minister Hekia Parata, who chairs the Ngārimu Board, says the Board is committed to developing young Māori leaders through education excellence and doing this in innovative ways.
 
“The Board has a rich history of strengthening Māori achievement through the living legacy of our war heroes. These education initiatives will help our future leaders to understand and appreciate the importance of good citizenship, giving back to the community and mana,” Ms Parata said.
 
“By documenting the histories of our veterans, we can provide students with resources to learn about World War Two, their forebears and the price of citizenship.”
 
Board member and Māori Affairs Minister Pita Sharples says the Board has also determined that an Alumni Association will be established by December 2015 to provide previous scholarship recipients with an opportunity to carry on this legacy of Māori achievement.
 
“The Alumni Association will give today’s leaders a way of contributing to the development of the young Māori leaders of tomorrow, through mentoring programmes and other investments.”
 
“In turn, those young people will benefit from the guidance and advice of their more established and experienced fellow scholarship recipients.”
 
“The Board and I encourage promising Māori students to apply for this year’s prestigious Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial scholarships,” Dr Sharples said.
 
Six scholarships worth between $10,000 and $30,000 are available. They include three undergraduate, one masters and one doctoral scholarship. As well, a Manakura award is also available for a person not currently in tertiary study who demonstrates leadership skills.
Candidates have until 5pm on 10 October 2013 to send their completed applications to the Ministry of Education.
 
“Like the brave soldiers, I am sure successful applicants will go on to make a great contribution to their whānau, hapū, iwi and country,” the Minister’s said.
 
Past Ngārimu scholarship recipients include Professor Whatarangi Winiata, Dr Patu Hohepa, Dr Monty Soutar, Pania Papa and Hon Hekia Parata.
 
All scholarship application information is available on the Ministry of Education website www.minedu.govt.nz/ngarimuscholarships

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news