Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Dramatic drop in benefits over last year

Hon Paula Bennett

Minister for Social Development

17 October 2013 Media Statement        

Dramatic drop in benefits over last year

The number of people on benefits in New Zealand has fallen consistently for three quarters says Social Development Minister Paula Bennett.

Today’s data release shows benefits fell to 304,394 in the September quarter.

“A year ago there were almost 321,000 New Zealanders on benefits; that fell by 16,548 since September 2012, and by 5,388 in just the last quarter.”

The number of people on Sole Parent Support fell by more than 3,000 in the last quarter and there are at least 2,000 fewer people on Jobseeker Support.

Since the Sole Parent Support benefit was introduced in July 15, more than 3,200 sole parents have cancelled it for work, others have left for different reasons and another 5,000 came onto this benefit in the same period.

Mrs Bennett says the new, transparent, approach to the welfare system reveals sole parents spend 15.8 years on average on welfare and the total lifetime liability for sole parents is $21 billion, or $234,000 per person.

“This is why we’ve prioritised this group for assistance, particularly teen parents who are most at risk of getting trapped on welfare,” says Mrs Bennett.

“Teen parents on benefit are required to be in education so they can be better prepared for work, as well as undertaking parenting and budgeting programmes, all of which helps them to become independent.”

Since July, more than 10,000 Jobseeker benefits have been cancelled because people found work and on average, around 1,500 benefits are cancelled every week, because people go off benefit, into work. 

The next quarterly release will be 17 January. Full benefit data available at: www.msd.govt.nz

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

No Voda/Sky: Commission Declines Clearance For Merger

The Commerce Commission has declined to grant clearance for the proposed merger of Sky Network Television and Vodafone New Zealand.

The Commission’s assessment focused on the impact of the proposed merger on competition in both the broadband and mobile telecommunications markets. To grant clearance, the Commission would need to be satisfied that the proposed merger would not be likely to substantially lessen competition in any market in New Zealand. More>>

 

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news