Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


After school abuse raises serious questions

Sue MORONEY

Social Development Spokesperson

25 October  2013     MEDIA STATEMENT

After school abuse raises serious questions

Serious questions must be asked, including whether enough staff were on duty, after a man was charged with abusing a child at an after school programme, said Labour's Spokesperson for Social Development, Sue Moroney.

Northland man, James Sanders has been charged with seven counts of sexual violation and indecent assault at an OSCAR programme.

“This is a very serious case. It is horrifying to think that a young child has been put in such a vulnerable position. Parents need to know their children are safe when they are in Government-subsidised care,” said Sue Moroney.

“Minister Paula Bennett must urgently review the OSCAR procedures. We warned she was putting vulnerable children at risk when she reduced the two staff requirement in 2011, but she went ahead anyway.

“I call on her to reinstate the requirement for two staff to be on duty at all times in after school programmes.

"Cabinet papers show Paula Bennett knew that the requirement for two staff was an important child protection measure, but she was in a hurry to get sole parents onto job queues so she dropped the standard of care for children outside school hours.

“Police vetting isn't a foolproof method of preventing child abuse, as this type of offending often goes unreported. Having two staff on at all times is an important back-stop.

"It's disappointing that the Minister has been writing green and white papers about vulnerable children with one hand, while getting rid of important child protection matters with the other,” said Sue Moroney.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news