Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


New approach helping beneficiaries into work

Hon Paula Bennett

Minister for Social Development

6 November 2013 Media Statement        

New approach helping beneficiaries into work

Social Development Minister Paula Bennett says the new Work Focused Case Management approach is yielding real results for beneficiaries.

Intensive one-to-one support from an assigned case manager has been offered to more than 83,000 people so far.

“Since introducing this in July, 7,103 people have gone off welfare into work through this approach,” says Mrs Bennett.

In total since reforms were implemented in July, more than 13,000 sole parents and Jobseekers have gone off welfare, into work.

People selected for Work Focused Case Management are generally at risk of long-term benefit dependency and require extra support to find employment.

About half of those receiving help via this approach are jobseekers, the other half are sole parents.

A further 25,797 beneficiaries are receiving Work Search Support, a lighter touch for those easily able to manage their own work search.

More than 198,000 people are in the general case management stream; primarily for people who are soon to start work or are preparing to work, including parents with social obligations.

“Welfare Reforms introduced by the National Government have been accompanied by more than $460 million in extra funding for greater support.”

Budget 2013 included an extra 354 Work and Income staff.

“This injection of staffing resource has allowed us to ensure more proactive face to face appointments with beneficiaries,” says Mrs Bennett.

As of the September quarter, there were 304,394 people on benefits, down from 320,942 a year previous.

Eighty-seven per cent of that reduction is due to people moving out of the welfare system after being on benefit for more than 12 months.

“We have set a Better Public Services target to reduce the number of people on benefit for more than 12 months, this means doing more complex work with people who have greater challenges, but it brings the biggest gains.”

“We are helping New Zealanders move out of the welfare system, into paid work which is just the start of a much better life,” says Mrs Bennett.

There are 126,470 classed as Jobseekers, 57,865 of which are temporarily unable to work due to illness.

The number of Jobseekers dropped by more than 7,000 in the last year.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news