Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Big victory for South AK in fight against East-West motorway

MEDIA RELEASE

MANA Movement

Big victory for South Auckland in fight against East-West motorway link
Thursday 16 January, 2014 

Mana is delighted with last night’s announcement by Auckland Transport Manager Rick Walden that the agency has abandoned plans to put an East-West motorway link through South Auckland.

Walden made the announcement to a large public meeting at Wymondly School in Otara last night.

“We are thrilled for these communities” says Mana co-Vice President John Minto. “The relief at the meeting was palpable.”

Council planners had come up with four options for the East-West link with their preferred option being the destruction of hundreds of homes in Mangere and Otahuhu as well as several schools (including Wymondly) while taking the road in a tunnel under Kings College to avoid disrupting the education for students from Remuera. 

“Abandoning this proposal is a victory for the Mangere, Otahuhu and Otara communities which have mobilised solidly to oppose the proposed new link,” said Minto.

Mana kicked off the campaign against the motorway as part of last year’s local body election campaign. A standing-room-only public meeting in Mangere launched the campaign with Mana candidates pledging to fight the new road.

The proposed road options had been discussed with so-called “stakeholders” but the communities were never informed till Mana began campaigning.

A community group called ROCC (Respect our Community Campaign) was formed with Mana support to carry the campaign forward. This group was stunningly successful in mobilising South Auckland communities against the road. Among many other things ROCC produced two broadsheet newspapers which informed and galvanised these communities.

We congratulate ROCC and its indefatigable spokesperson Roger Fowler for this big victory.

And a big congratulations to the people of Mangere, Otahuhu and Otara. 

“I doubt any road proposal anywhere in New Zealand has been stopped by a public campaign before formal proposals have been put to the community”.

A victory to celebrate and savor.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

No Charges: Outcome
Of Operation Clover Investigation

Police have completed a multi-agency investigation, Operation Clover, into the activities of a group calling themselves “The Roast Busters”. The 12 month enquiry focused on incidents involving allegations of sexual offending against a number of girls in the Waitemata Police district and wider Auckland area.

Following a lengthy and complex investigation, charges are not being laid by Police at this time regarding 8 incidents involving 7 victims and 5 suspects. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

UNICEF Report: NZ Cautioned On "Stagnating" Child Poverty

An international report by UNICEF has found that child poverty rates in New Zealand have barely changed since 2008, despite similar sized countries significantly reducing child poverty during the recent recession. More>>

ALSO:

Funding Report: Two Pathways For Transport In Auckland

Commissioned by Auckland Council, the group was asked to investigate two possible pathways for raising $300 million per year ($12 billion over 30 years) to pay for the improvements needed to help fix Auckland’s transport system. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Equal Pay Win In Court Of Appeal

CTU: The Court of Appeal has made a historic decision paving the way for a substantial equal pay claim for aged care workers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The TPP Finishing Line, And Amazon’s Woes

If the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal wasn’t such a serious matter, this would be pretty funny… More>>

ALSO:

TV3 Video: Three Die On Roads Over Labour Weekend

The official holiday period ended at 6am Tuesday, with three deaths on the roads during the Labour Day weekend. More>>

Employment Relations Bill: Govt Strains To Get Tea Break Law Through

The Government has been left with egg on its face - failing to get its much-vaunted, but hugely unpopular, meal break law passed in the first week of its new term, Labour spokesperson on Labour Issues Andrew Little says. More>>

ALSO:

Guns: Police Association Call To Arm Police Full Time

"The new minister gave his view, that Police do not need to be armed, while standing on the forecourt of parliament. The dark irony was that the interview followed immediately after breaking news of a gunman running amok in the Canadian parliament in Ottawa..." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Tokenism Of New Zealand's Role Against Islamic State

Our contribution against IS will be to send SAS forces to train the Iraqis? That’s like offering trainers to General Custer just as the 7th cavalry reached the Little Big Horn. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Shell And Todd Caught Drilling Without Approval

Multi-national oil company Shell’s New Zealand arm and local energy giant Todd Energy have breached the new law governing New Zealand’s Exclusive Economic Zone, the Environmental Protection Authority says in an Oct. 10 document released by the Green Party. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news