Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Nothing to celebrate unless jobs are real

Sue
MORONEY
Social Development Spokesperson

17 January 2014 MEDIA STATEMENT

Nothing to celebrate unless jobs are real

Fewer beneficiaries is only good news if they have decent jobs to go to, says Labour's Spokesperson for Social Development Sue Moroney.

“Today's benefit figures show the Government is making no headway in the number of 18-24 year olds or Maori on job seeker benefits in the last year, despite their harsh reforms.

“The figures also tell a story of increasing joblessness in the regions outside of Canterbury and Auckland.

"In the Waikato Region, for example, the number of people on the Job Seeker benefit rose by 1,134 in the last quarter alone. And that is despite the harsh approach being taken by this Government.

“This tells us that depending on natural disasters, such as earthquakes, to reduce unemployment is not a sustainable strategy.

“Just two days ago the Ministry of Social Development issued a report that increased the forecast unemployment figure for 2013 – so a corresponding fall in the number of people receiving Government support raises questions.

“National's policy of cutting people off benefits whether they have jobs or not is increasing child poverty and inequality.

"There have been instances of people having their benefits cut because they couldn't get to a seminar 30kms away or there was a bureaucratic bungle within Work and Income - this is hardly a cause for celebration in a country that prides itself on fairness.

“We know that less than half of people coming of benefits each week are going into jobs. Unless the Minister can show that these 17,000 people have got decent jobs we have nothing to celebrate,” says Sue Moroney

“There are still 35,700 more people on benefits now than there were in December 2008, when Labour was the Government.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news