Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Government must commit to total removal of the Rena

10 February 2014

Government must commit to total removal of the Rena

Today’s news highlights the warnings given over the past six months by independent MP Brendan Horan, that the Rena will be left on the Astrolabe Reef.

“I first warned in Parliament of the owners’ intentions on 2 July 2013 when I asked the Government if they were aware that the owners of the Rena were preparing an application for resource consent.

“In reply, Minister Gerry Brownlee admitted that they knew but refused to commit to oppose the application for resource consent.

“This is a sordid deal - the Government’s version of ‘polluter pays’ means the owners would pay a paltry $10.4 million, the Government pockets the cash, the owners walk away scot-free, and Tauranga, the Bay of Plenty, and New Zealand lose.

“How could New Zealand tolerate such a paltry disgraceful deal at the expense of our environment and New Zealand’s international reputation. Even today there is a cone of secrecy surrounding the Rena. There is still an exclusion zone preventing people or vessels near the area. The no-go area has been in place for nearly three years, preventing public scrutiny.

“Gerry Brownlee and Simon Bridges have been hoping that a little algae growth and shifting sands will cover the debris still scattered around the seabed. Rusting wires, cables, containers, and cargo - some toxic - are still down there,” said Brendan Horan.

“It is no good for Simon Bridges to talk about what might happen in an ideal world. What needs to happen today is for National to get into the real world and stand up for New Zealand by committing to require the complete removal of the wreck by the owners, even if it means pursuing them through courts around the world, said Brendan Horan.

The operator of the Rena, the Mediterranean Shipping Company, has had numerous accidents occur involving its vessels, including as recently as December 30 when the MSC Monterey began to fall apart off Newfoundland.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza.

Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

Details:

 

Parliament Today:

Collins 'Misinterprets Media Reports': "Too Compromised To Remain Justice Minister"

Bizarre claims by Judith Collins this morning that she had been cleared of inappropriate behaviour by the Privacy Commissioner demonstrates she is too compromised to remain Justice Minister, Labour MP Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour On Climate Change: Focus On The Now For The Future

A Labour Government will put in place a comprehensive climate change strategy focusing on both mitigation and adaptation, establish an independent Climate Commission and implement carbon budgeting, says Labour Climate Change spokesperson Moana Mackey. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On National’s Housing Assistance Plan

So, as many as 90,000 people could derive some benefit from National’s housing assistance plans for low and middle-income earners... Yet in reality, the benefits seem likely to be insignificant, and they will be skewed towards those at the top end of the income group that’s supposedly the target. More>>

ALSO:

Election Data Consortium: National’s Worst Case Scenario At Stage One?

A month out from the general election and ipredict traders are still forecasting National’s vote to slip below current polling levels and there is potential for it to fall further. More>>

ALSO:

From The Scoop Video Archive: PM Says SIS "Told Me" About OIA Release

In a press conference immediately following an controversial OIA release of notes on an SIS briefing to then Labour leader Phil Goff, Key said "at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ...". Since the release of Nicky Hager's 'Dirty Politics' Key has denied being personally informed and said references by officials to 'the PM' being told briefed referred to his office. He now says the same about his own statement. More>>

ALSO:

  • Scoop Video in the news - New questions over Key claims | NZ Herald News - Stuff.co.nz
  • Earlier - Felix Marwick: Laying out facts over SIS documents - Newstalk ZB
  • Labour - Director’s letter contradicts Key’s claims
  • ACT - The Letter - 26 days to go
  • TV3 Video - Housing issue nudges Dirty Politics aside - David Cunliffe: Key's SIS explanation 'defies belief' - SIS leak came from Key's Office - Goff - Key 'categorically denies' Slater OIA discussion - Video: Key faces more Dirty Politics questions

  • TVNZ - Winston Peters: ‘Dirty Politics' is a new low
  • The Nation - Debate Between Grant Robertson And Russel Norman
  • NZ First - “The Words Mean What I Say They Mean”
  • Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

    Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

    ALSO:

    Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

    This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

    Earlier:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news