Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Defence Minister to attend NATO-ISAF summit

Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman

Minister of Defence

25 February 2014

Media Statement       

Defence Minister to attend NATO-ISAF summit

Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman is joining his international counterparts at this week’s NATO-ISAF Defence Ministers meeting in Brussels. 

“The NATO-ISAF summit is a good opportunity to discuss the ISAF drawdown and planning for NATO’s post-2014 training, advice and assistance mission in Afghanistan,” says Dr Coleman.

“New Zealand remains committed to supporting the final stages of the ISAF mission in Afghanistan to December 2014. It is important to secure the gains made by the international community over the last decade.

“Our 27 NZDF personnel make a small but valuable contribution. The Government has previously confirmed that a small number of personnel are expected to remain at the UK-led Afghan National Army Officer Training Academy in training assistance and capacity building roles beyond 2014.”

New Zealand is also committed to supporting NATO in areas of common interest. The NATO-ISAF summit is a useful opportunity to discuss and highlight New Zealand’s contribution to international maritime security efforts.

“HMNZS Te Mana has recently successfully completed a short deployment to NATO’s anti-piracy mission, Operation Ocean Shield, in the Gulf of Aden region,” says Dr Coleman.

“As a trading nation New Zealand recognises the importance of maritime security, and we are committed to contributing to the international effort to tackle piracy.”

Dr Coleman will hold a number of bilateral meetings at the NATO-ISAF summit with NATO leaders and counterparts from a range of countries. 

Following the NATO-ISAF summit on 26-27 February 2014, Dr Coleman will travel to New York for a range of meetings in support of New Zealand’s UN Security Council campaign.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Work, Curfew

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news