Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Key admits defeat before even selling Genesis

David

CUNLIFFE

Labour Leader


26 February 2014 MEDIA STATEMENT
Key admits defeat before even selling Genesis

John Key has given up on the Genesis sale before it has even begun by saying he may only be able to sell 30 per cent of the state asset, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says.

“Everyone knows the Genesis sale is going to be a failure, from the public to investors to Treasury. Now it turns out even John Key knows it.

“Not only is it a bad idea to sell off assets in the first place, it’s economic idiocy to sell three in the space of a year. The sharemarket just isn’t that interested. That’s why John Key has admitted he may not be able to sell the full 49 per cent of Genesis.

“John Key must have looked at the figures. The number of investors in SOE energy company sales has halved after each sale since Contact Energy was floated in 1999. Given that just 62,000 Kiwis bought shares in the last company sold, Meridian, it’s possible just 30,000 will buy shares in Genesis.

“That compares to 920,000 people who voted ‘no’ to asset sales in last year’s referendum.

“Nothing shows this Government has run out of ideas more than the return of the ‘buy-one-get-one-free’ scheme of Mighty River Power. Since then they’ve tried ‘buy-now-pay-later’ with Meridian and ‘Grab-a-Share’ with Air New Zealand but with little success.

“John Key has already effective admitted that the asset sales programme has failed. It’s been so unpopular and so unsuccessful that he’s had to say ‘no more sales’ after the election.

“He should listen to the people and stop the sales right now. The Genesis sale is the last cab off the rank. The Government should leave it there,” David Cunliffe says.


ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news