Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


New domestic violence programme for offenders

New domestic violence programme for offenders


Corrections Minister Anne Tolley says a new and comprehensive domestic violence programme is to be introduced for community offenders to help reduce reoffending and prevent family members from being re-victimised.

Domestic violence offenders in the community will take part in 26 sessions over 60 hours, with a focus on minimising the harm caused by drug and alcohol misuse, improving relationship and parenting skills, and managing emotions and attitudes.

The programme will be piloted by some existing providers from July 2014, with a real-time evaluation before a scheduled full rollout in 2015.

In addition, all probation officers are currently being trained to work with domestic violence offenders to deliver rehabilitation and to identify risks and warning signs of where family violence may be taking place.

“Domestic violence wrecks lives. We want to ensure that families are safe in their homes and that this terrible offending isn’t repeated,” says Mrs Tolley.

“The new domestic violence programme, based on international best practice, will provide a more effective, uniform approach across the country, replacing the range of different programmes which currently exist.

“This is an area in which we can and must do better.

“At the moment, only half of offenders complete the programmes. This has to improve, and one way to do this is to provide more flexible access, with sessions being provided at night and at weekends.

“We have been making sweeping changes to rehabilitation right across the Corrections portfolio to meet our target of reducing reoffending by 25 per cent by 2017.

“This will deliver safer communities and, importantly, it will result in 18,500 fewer victims of crime each year.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate.

Unfortunately, it is also a forerunner of the kind of “ debate” we can expect during the upcoming review of the security agency powers, in June. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful.

Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news