Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Adventure tourism shambles has PM’s fingerprints all over it

Adventure tourism shambles has PM’s fingerprints all over it

The uncertainty faced by businesses and tourists in the adventure tourism industry over safety audits has been created by the Prime Minister and Minister of Tourism, John Key, and he needs to fix it, Labour’s Tourism spokesperson Darien Fenton says.

“It was John Key who ordered a review of the risks and safety of adventure tourism operations back in 2010. He promised tourists and families that he intended to make this industry safe.

“The then Minister of Labour, Kate Wilkinson, made a big song and dance about implementing new standards, while current Minister Simon Bridges jumped on the bandwagon to announce that there would be at least three providers doing the audits.

“What we weren’t told was these were not-for profit-organisations and no funding would be made available to assist them to do this important work.

“Two of those providers dropped out, and the remaining one, Outdoors New Zealand, was left to do all the work. It has now been forced to put all audits on hold because of cash flow problems.

“Adventure activity providers are obliged under the Health and Safety (Adventure Activity) regulations to complete a safety audit by November 1, yet no-one seems to know what will happen if it can’t be completed.

“These people have no certainty about forward bookings, or for that matter the survival of their businesses, and users have no certainty that safety standards are being implemented.

“This shambles has the Prime Minister’s fingerprints all over it. He needs to clean it up before our international tourism reputation is seriously affected.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Detention, Community Work

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news