Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Housing Accord report shows Aucklanders were sold a lemon

Phil Twyford
Housing spokesperson

27 March 2014

Housing Accord report shows Aucklanders were sold a lemon

Nick Smith’s report on the Auckland Housing Accord is a mish-mash of projections, predictions and promises, but it fails to tell Aucklanders how many new homes will be built as a result of the Accord and how many of them will be affordable, says Labour’s housing spokesperson Phil Twyford.

“Nick Smith promised Aucklanders 39,000 new homes by 2016, but his own report shows that he will fail to deliver with only 2,392 new dwellings receiving building consent since October last year, when the Housing Accord was launched, which means only 7,176 houses “likely” this year according to the Minister’s own projections, leaving a deficit against his promise of 31,824 homes to build over the coming two years. To deliver, he will need to build homes at twice the rate of the first year, or over 15,000 homes in 2015 and another 15,000 homes in 2016.

“His own report shows there have been a miserable 13 new dwelling resource consents for new homes in his Special Housing Areas since October last year. At first I wondered if that figure was a typo.

“And worse, he is now congratulating himself for reporting numbers of sections and subdivisions consented and counting them as if they were somehow measures of real families being housed, as if the recently consented subdivision of Manukau Golf Course, where people are still playing golf, is part of the Minister’s deluded ‘success story’, when it is clear that actual families in the real world won’t be moving into these new homes for years.

“We know from the Auckland Plan that Auckland needs 10,000 new homes a year just to stand still against population growth, yet the government’s pathetic attempts to fix their failed housing policy, despite all the fanfare, is actually putting us further behind demand every day that goes by.

“All Nick Smith has to show for five years in government, and months of big talk and bullying are some pretty uninspiring figures for consented sections, and a set of figures proving that his policy will not deliver the homes Auckland desperately needs.

“Meanwhile Auckland house prices continue to escalate out of reach of first home buyers. Westpac’s Investment Report out today confirms the city’s status as a speculator’s paradise.

“This Government has utterly failed to rein in housing costs, and make it easier for ordinary Kiwis to own a home of their own. National refuses to actually build affordable homes, and they refuse to crack down on speculators both foreign and domestic who are driving Auckland’s house prices higher and higher.

“It must be humiliating for Nick Smith to see the Government’s housing policy collapsing around him. All the indicators are going in the wrong direction with house prices skyrocketing, first home buyers shut out of the market, interest rates heading north of 8 per cent, and wages for most Kiwis flat lining. It is a disaster of epic proportions and the Minister has run out of stunts and photo ops to hide his failed housing policy.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

Update: After a seven hour caucus meeting David Cunliffe has announced Chris Hipkins and Carmel Sepuloni as new party whips and said the Labour council will hold an independent review into the election result. He did not comment on any leadership vote.

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news