Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Boosting trade presence in China, S. America & Middle East

NZTE to boost trade presence in China, S. America & Middle East

The Government is to boost NZTE's trade presence in China, South America and the Middle East to help more New Zealand firms break into these growing markets.

In a speech today to the North Harbour Club, Prime Minister John Key announced that Budget 2014 would contain funding of $69 million over the next four years (including $14 million of reprioritised funding) to help New Zealand Trade and Enterprise assist more exporters to succeed internationally.

“As a small country at the bottom of the world New Zealand’s economic future lies in the strength of our connections to international markets to sell our goods and services,” Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce says.

“China, South America, the Middle East and the ASEAN region provide strong opportunities for New Zealand’s economic future. Lifting our trade with these regions will help create higher paying jobs for Kiwis and their families.”

“As part of the Government’s Business Growth Agenda, the new funding for NZTE in Budget 2014 is about increasing our international footprint in growth markets and getting the right level of resources in the right places,” Trade Minister Tim Groser says.

Seven new NZTE positions are being added in China (on top of the 62 already there); three in South America (one each in Brazil, Chile and Colombia), two in the Middle East (Riyadh and Abu Dhabi); and one in Papua New Guinea. A new trade commissioner was appointed to Indonesia last year alongside increased representation for Education New Zealand and Tourism New Zealand.

“As well as expanding its international network in areas of greatest demand, the funding will enable the agency to deal in a more intensive way with more companies,” Mr Joyce says.

“NZTE works with 3500 companies, focusing intensively on around 500 of those. But the agency has found there are an increasing number of firms wanting this level of service as they seek to break into or expand in international markets.

“Therefore, the budget increase will allow NZTE to lift the number of companies it works with intensively from 500 to 700, over a two-year period. This will ensure more New Zealand firms are helped to break into new markets and expand in existing markets.”

“The increase in funding will also allow on-going investment in NZTE’s high impact programmes in sectors such as health, wine, agribusiness, ICT, food and beverage, marine, and aviation. NZTE assists firms within these sectors to work closer together to ensure New Zealand competes more effectively in these international markets,” Mr Groser says.

These announcements follow other recent Government Business Growth Agenda initiatives to build our export markets including negotiating and implementing free trade agreements; boosting the profile of our tourism and international education sectors; and developing and launching the New Zealand Story to help Kiwi exporters.

“The role of NZTE is to help New Zealand companies achieve international success. This Government has a given it a significant makeover and it is performing well. The additional $69 million will allow NZTE to connect more Kiwi companies with growing markets delivering stronger long-term economic growth for New Zealand,” Mr Joyce says.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news