Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Green light from Labour for cancer screening programme

David Cunliffe
Labour Leader

14 April 2014

Green light from Labour for cancer screening programme

Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today committed to a national bowel screening programme, starting with extending the current service to the Southern and Waikato districts.

“Around 3000 New Zealanders develop bowel cancer each year and about 1200, or 100 a month, die from it.

“As Minister of Health in 2008 I pushed for the nationwide roll out of bowel cancer screening. Since then National has dragged the chain.

“It has said it will not make any decision on a national screening programme until the Waitemata pilot is completed and all monitoring and evaluation data has been analysed.

“But the results speak for themselves – more than 58,600 people completed a bowel screening test, more than 3200 went on to have a colonoscopy and cancer was detected in 129.

“If testing can prevent deaths there should be no prevaricating.

“Labour plans to begin the roll out next year, starting in Otago-Southland and the Waikato, areas which have a higher than proportionate bowel cancer death rate.

“Initially it will target those aged between 50 and 64, with a view to extending it to 74 in future in similar fashion to Labour’s breast screening campaign.

“The Waitemata programme will continue to screen 50 to 74 year olds.

“The cost across the three DHBs is $14 million a year from $2015/16.

“We will also set out an implementation plan to ensure the smooth roll out of the programme.

“Bowel cancer kills five times as many Kiwis each year than are killed on our roads. Screening results in at least a 15 per cent reduction in the death rate and can prevent 180 deaths a year.

“That’s why I am committed to getting this underway as soon as possible, and commencing a nationwide roll out within the first three years of a Labour Government,” David Cunliffe said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news