Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Patient safety campaign to focus on surgery

Patient safety campaign to focus on surgery

Associate Health Minister Jo Goodhew has launched the next phase of the national patient safety campaign Open for better care, which focuses on reducing harm associated with surgery.

“Over 300,000 publicly funded operations are performed in New Zealand each year, and while the majority are incident free there are occasions where patients do suffer harm,” says Mrs Goodhew.

The Open for better care campaign aims to reduce the risk of harm by highlighting the importance of having all three parts of the WHO surgical safety checklist used in at least 90 per cent of operations performed by DHBs.

“The checklist is a simple process that saves lives by ensuring crucial safety checks aren’t missed, as well as an important tool to improve communication and teamwork with surgical teams,” says Mrs Goodhew.

“International research suggests that the effective use of the checklist can reduce avoidable complications by at least 20 per cent. Such a reduction would save the health system around $5.7 million each year.

“Recent data shows nationally the checklist is being used 93 per cent of the time in DHBs, which is an improvement on the baseline result of 71 per cent reported in June last year. When you drill down into the data and look at individual DHBs the results are mixed, ranging from 98 per cent to 71 per cent.

“I commend the DHBs that are doing well in this area, and encourage those with room for improvement to reflect on their own practices.”

The Open for better care campaign will be focusing on reducing harm associated with surgery for the next six months. Further information about the campaign can be found at www.open.hqsc.govt.nz/surgery/

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Work, Curfew

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news