Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Government admits Defence cuts a disaster

Phil
GOFF

Defence Spokesperson
29 April 2014 MEDIA STATEMENT

Government admits Defence cuts a disaster

New funding for the Defence Force of $535 million over four years is a belated and inadequate acknowledgement by the Government that its cost cutting in the armed services was an utter failure, Labour’s Defence spokesperson Phil Goff says.

“Today’s pre-Budget announcement shows the Government has been forced to admit the damage it has done in Defence. Minister Jonathan Coleman’s cuts have put our Defence Force at risk and seriously undermined our armed services.

“Funding of about $134 million a year is less than half the amount the Government sought to cut from the Defence Force with its cost cutting target of $350 million a year.

“The Government was forced to put its plan on hold when the Defence Force itself refused to continue civilianising 1400 positions. This disastrous policy led to soaring attrition rates of up to 24 per cent in the Army alone, the Navy unable to crew its ships and a damming report by the Auditor General.

“What we are seeing now is too little too late. This new funding will repair only a fraction of the damage National has done to our Defence Force.

“Jonathan Coleman said last year further cuts could be delayed for up to two years because they could jeopardise operations.

“This new funding shows the minister has now been forced to scrap his policy altogether.

“This is a huge embarrassment for Jonathan Coleman and the Government.

“Men and women in the Defence Force deserve better from their Government than what National done to them,” Phil Goff says.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Education: Schools Funded To Trial Innovative Approaches

Education Minister Hekia Parata has announced the successful applicants for a new $10 million fund to encourage innovative teaching practices. “I’m delighted with the quality of the 39 projects that have won funding in the first round of the Teacher-led Innovation Fund worth a total of about $2.6 million,” says Ms Parata. More>>

ALSO:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news