Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Auckland consents falling behind

Auckland consents falling behind


Auckland residential building consents are falling well behind the Government’s own promised 9000 homes for the first year of its Housing Accord, says Labour’s housing spokesperson Phil Twyford.

“Nick Smith promised Aucklanders 9000 new houses this year, starting last October. He has only delivered 3417 consents in the first six months.

“At this rate the Government will fall well short of its own year one promise, let alone delivering on their promise of 39,000 homes over three years. The March 2014 figures just out show only 500 actual houses consented, which is less than the 511 consented last November, so they are going backwards.

“The Accord is pretty much all the Government has done to address the housing crisis. If it fails, and it is starting to look like it will, then prices will continue to rise and the Kiwi dream of home ownership will become further from the reach of ordinary families.

“The Accord was supposed to work by bringing in new land through Special Housing Areas, but the Government’s own figures are that the SHAs will only deliver 5850 new dwellings and sections during the three years of the Accord. Given that Auckland needs 13,000 new homes each year just to meet the shortfall and then keep up with demand, and migration figures are rising not falling, it suggests the Government’s housing policies are failing and their own numbers prove it.

“Labour has a real plan to solve the housing crisis, building 100,000 affordable homes for first home buyers, fixing monetary policy, and cracking down on speculators through a capital gains tax and restrictions on offshore speculators.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news