Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Funding for sexual services too little too late

Sue
MORONEY
Social Development Spokesperson

Carol
BEAUMONT
Women’s Affairs Spokesperson
30 April 2014 MEDIA STATEMENT

Funding for sexual services too little too late

Today's announcement of $10.4 million over two years to plug the funding shortfall for sexual violence services is too little, too late, says Labour’s Social Development spokesperson Sue Moroney.

“In April, Rape Prevention Education co-ordinator Kim McGregor told the select committee that the sector needed $10m right now just to keep going.

“The Government has responded by delivering $ 10.4 million over the next two years , after having ignored the plight of the sector which has faced an increased demand for services with less funding.

“National also ignored the 71 recommendations delivered to it by the Taskforce for Action on Sexual Violence in 2009. This taskforce was set-up by Labour in 2007, but it's work was shelved by National who ignored its report and recommendations.

“Labour is working on a comprehensive and long term package aimed at making New Zealand a world leader in reducing sexual offending” , says Labour’s Women’s Affairs spokesperson Carol Beaumont..

“There are however changes that can, and should, be made immediately. These measures are backed by hard evidence and are well overdue. They include changes to policing, the operation of the justice system and focussing on preventing sexual violence. The inquiry being undertaken by the Social Services Select Committee needs to be prioritised to deliver adequate and sustainable funding for sexual violence support services.

“National has responded by doing the least it thinks it can get away with. It's better than doing nothing, but it won't make up for the 5 years of neglect and inaction.”


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news