Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


PM breaks promise to families of adventure tourism victims

PM breaks promise to families of adventure tourism victims

Tourism Minister John Key owes an explanation to the families of victims of adventure tourism accidents after breaking his promise to ensure safety in the industry, says Labour’s Tourism spokesperson Darien Fenton.

“Last night’s Three Degrees programme revealed that four years after John Key assured those families and adventure tourists that he intended to make the industry safe, progress has stalled, if not gone backwards.

“A review of risks and safety in adventure tourism operations in 2010 was ordered by the Prime Minister, recommendations were made and announcements were made about providers to conduct safety audits. But then it all stopped.

“Outdoors New Zealand told the Government earlier this year that it did not have the funding to complete the safety audits required for operators under the Health & Safety (Adventure Activity) Regulations by November 1. Other providers fell over early in the piece.

“No-one knows if the 500-odd organisations who said they were subject to the regulations will be audited in time for the November deadline. What will happen if they can’t?

“This has created huge uncertainty for businesses and tourists in this important part of our tourism industry. It has also created unnecessary grief for the families of those killed in adventure tourism accidents.

“Adventure activity providers have no certainty about forward bookings, or for that matter the survival of their businesses. Users have no certainty safety standards are being implemented.

“This is a mess and the Prime Minister is responsible. His broken promises to make adventure tourism safety are sounding increasingly hollow,” Darien Fenton says.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Environment And Conservation: Changes To Our Oceans Pose Serious Concerns

New Zealand’s oceans, coasts, and marine wildlife are under growing pressure, according to the first national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Statistics New Zealand about the marine environment. More>>


Police Authority: Use Of Taser Was Disproportionate And Unjustified

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that an officer’s second use of a Taser on a mentally unwell Hokitika man was disproportionate and unjustified. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Holidays, Hekia Parata And Badlands

Hekia Parata, adieu. Reportedly, she’s been ‘passionate’ about education. She has “bravely’ led the charge on the government’s education reforms. In the past week , many of the postscripts to Hekia Parata’s career as Education Minister have sounded like a schoolteacher desperately trying to find some reason why a D student can be marked up to C minus. More>>


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news