Allegations Over a Horse Started by Stupid Nag with a Grudge
Rt Hon Winston Peters
New Zealand First
14 May 2014
ALLEGATIONS OVER A HORSE STARTED BY STUPID NAG WITH A GRUDGE
“The allegation made against me today via the news media that I should have declared a small, short term lease interest in a racehorse is worse than just bunkum, it is a deliberate attempt at character assassination.
“That attempt is again bound to fail.
“The details are:
1. No declaration is required to own a horse, let alone lease a 10 per cent share in it.
2. At a charity auction I bought that share in a lease, which has expired.
3. I did not seek to get a tax rebate on the charity.
4. The difference between my outlay at the auction and my personal returns on the horse was a 400 per cent deficit.
5. I never had an ownership share, but a short-term leased share in a syndicate.
6. The New Zealand Racing Board has confirmed with me that my interests appeared in a syndicate lease, which is never ownership.
7. The auction took place in late 2008 and even if there was a requirement to declare, which there is not, I was not in parliament for declarations in 2009, ie, good night nurse on this one.
“I have no regrets in sharing personally the disappointing experience of so many people interested in the racing industry under a Government that is sending many of the owners and trainers to investment ruin.
“I am genuinely interested in understanding as much as I can about this industry, as I am in other industries that bring so much wealth to New Zealand.
“That’s why, to be modest, I am pleased to say the industry wants me back as Minister.
“This stupid allegation comes from a thoroughly discredited nag that crashed into the first hurdle.
“Those who believe him need to know that character assassination, deceit and lies is not going to save them at this election.
“PS The nag owns a horse but he won’t pay the trainer,” says Mr Peters.