Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


$85.3m increase in schools’ operational funding

Hon Hekia Parata
Minister of Education

15 May 2014

$85.3m increase in schools’ operational funding

Schools’ operational grants will increase by 2 per cent at a cost of $85.3 million over the next four years, Education Minister Hekia Parata says.

“This new funding will bring the total amount spent on school operational grants to $1.23 billion during 2014/15,” she says. “These increases will help schools cover increases in operating costs, including the costs of non-teaching staff.

“There is a considerable investment in new education initiatives in this Budget, including $359 million of operating funding over the next four years for the Investing in Educational Success programme that the Prime Minister announced earlier this year. But we also recognise that schools face budget pressures in their everyday operations.

“The increase, from the start of the 2015 school year, will take financial pressure off schools and help them continue to focus on the thing that is most important to all of us – raising student achievement,” Ms Parata says.

Operational grants are about 20 per cent of total government funding to state and state-integrated schools. The grants are paid in cash to boards of trustees, which decide how they are spent. Typically, the funding is spent on support staff, teaching materials and utilities.

“The continual increase in schools’ operational grants over our six Budgets has been in line with inflation, and reflects the Government’s commitment to supporting schools to be successful,” Ms Parata says.

Previous increases to schools’ operational grants

BudgetIncrease over four yearsPer cent rise
2014$85.3 million2.0%
2013$79.2 million1.9%
2012$82.6 million2.0%
2011$118.1 million2.9%
2010$155.7 million4.0%
2009$80.0 million2.0%

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, is responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

 
 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news