Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


$50m of extra funding for earthquake recovery

$50m of extra funding for earthquake recovery


Budget 2014 provides an additional $50 million of operating funding over the next two years for the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority, bringing the Government’s spending and commitments to rebuilding greater Christchurch to $15.4 billion.

The residential, commercial and horizontal infrastructure rebuilds are progressing well, but there is still much to do, Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says.

“Recovering from the Canterbury earthquakes is one of the Government’s four priorities for this term, and no resource is being spared in seeing Christchurch and its surrounding areas rebuilt appropriately so they can thrive into the future.

“The additional funding for CERA, in addition to the $19.5 million funded from contingencies established in Budget 2013, will ensure it can deliver on its key priorities.

“In the residential red zone, 8,062 property owners have been given the certainty required to move from severely damaged or dangerous land and make a new start for their families. Over half those red-zoned properties have now been cleared, with all demolitions on the flat land scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.

“Budget 2014 also confirms funding for settlement with residential red zone property owners, clearances, site management and consideration of how the area will be used in the future.

“This package confirms multi-year commitments of $313.8 million operating funding over the next four years and $150 million in capital funding to continue land acquisitions in the CBD and to deliver the anchor projects outlined in the Christchurch central-city recovery plan.

“Day by day, as residents of greater Christchurch see new subdivisions springing up, buildings going up in the CBD and their house repairs being completed, they can see this recovery take shape, and a positive future becomes more tangible,” Mr Brownlee says.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pacific Spying: Mass Surveillance Of NZers Confirmed By Former GCSB Director - Contradicting PM John Key

Scoop Editor Alastair Thompson Reports: Yesterday morning former GCSB Director Sir Bruce Ferguson confirmed mass surveillance of New Zealnders in the Pacific is taking place as revealed in the latest Snowden leaks investigated by Nicky Hager. In 2013 John Key told press gallery reporters that in the event mass surveillance was found have been conducted by the GCSB, he and the director of the GCSB - his childhood friend Ian Fletcher - would resign. As the controversy deepens a year and half later Fletcher has already resigned. But will Key? More>>

Gordon Campbell: Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful. Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news