Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Share offer proceeds boost capital investment

Share offer proceeds boost capital investment

The success of the Government’s share offer programme provides a further $1 billion of new capital investment in Budget 2014 without the need to borrow more from overseas lenders, Finance Minister Bill English says.

“The share sale proceeds saw $4.7 billion go to the Future Investment Fund and we said we would spend $1 billion of that on schools, and a further $1 billion on health,” he says.

Future Investment Fund allocations in Budget 2014 include $200 million for health, including $67 million for a new Grey Base Hospital on the West Coast. That takes health spending from the Fund since 2012 to $684 million.

Education is allocated $172.5 million in Budget 2014 to continue the upgrade and replacement of school buildings, and to build new ones, including Pegasus Bay School in North Canterbury. That takes total spending from the Fund on education since 2012 to $391.8 million.

KiwiRail receives a further $198 million from the Future Investment Fund, of which $150 million is earmarked for infrastructure. An additional $25 million covers Aratere-related costs.

In addition to allocations from the Fund, Budget 2014 provides $375 million of new capital for the New Zealand Transport Agency, by way of an interest-free loan, to accelerate $815 million worth of Auckland transport projects.

Other spending allocated from the Future Investment Fund in Budget 2014 includes:
• $75 million for a Christchurch housing contingency.
• A further $40 million to Crown Irrigation to invest in the design and construction of irrigation schemes to boost agricultural production.
• $30.6 million towards the Hobsonville Land Company housing development.
• $11.3 million towards the Crown buying the TVNZ Archive at Avalon.
• $8 million on Te Papa for maintenance and repair.
“Budget 2012 allocated $533.3 million from the Future Investment Fund and Budget 2013 a further $1.4 billion,” Mr English says. “So the $1 billion in this Budget brings the total so far to almost $3 billion.

“That leaves nearly $1.7 billion in the fund for spending on new public assets in Budgets 2015 and 2016, without us having to borrow,” Mr English says.

“This means that thanks to the share offer programme, taxpayers will not have had to borrow money for new capital spending over about five years. The programme to sell down some of our assets to fund new ones is delivering.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news