Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Wood Producers the Losers From Budget Tariff Removal

Wood Producers the Losers From Budget Tariff Removal


New Zealand First says forestry businesses and sawmill workers will be the real losers from the Government’s removal of tariffs on imported building materials.

Spokesperson for Primary Industries Richard Prosser said the budget removal of tariffs is another nail in the coffin for New Zealand manufacturing and processing of primary commodities like timber.

“We have an entire city to rebuild in Christchurch, we have an outstanding earthquake-proof building material in wood, we have a well-developed forestry industry with a good processing infrastructure, and instead of utilising it, employing New Zealanders in the process, the Government decides to subsidise foreign cheap-labour producers of steel, cement, and plasterboard,” says Mr Prosser.

“Saving up to $3,500 on the cost of building a house by letting in cheap second-rate imports is dumb economics and it puts New Zealand firms out of business and New Zealand workers on the dole.

“We’re spending hard-earned foreign exchange on building materials for which in many cases we have good domestically produced alternatives,” said Mr Prosser. “Plywood, flooring board, laminated beams, framing timber, linear board – the list goes on.”

“Who is this Government working for – businesses and workers in New Zealand, or factory owners in Asia?

“Many timber industry businesses are struggling as it is, completely unnecessarily, and this latest ideologically driven piece of economic stupidity is a kick in the teeth for them.

“When we do have to nail the wood industry up in a box, it’ll be a box made from New Zealand timber, exported as a log, built in some foreign factory, and then shipped back again,” says Mr Prosser.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Earth Day: Global March To Defend Science In NZ Saturday

The March for Science movement emerged in the immediate wake of President Trump’s inauguration as he moved quickly to curtail the power of the Environmental Protection Agency and limit the ability of government agencies to communicate scientific evidence.

Since then it has broadened to “champion robustly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity”. More>>

'Opening The Election' Video: Nicky Hager And Mike Joy On Science, Spin, And Society

In two videos relevant to the March for Science from Scoop's 'Opening The Election' forum, Massey University's Dr Mike Joy spoke about promoting science in the face of government spin and journalist Nicky Hager offered a checklist of issues to promote for an open civil society. More>>

 

Health Workers Respond: People's Mental Health Report Released

The People's Mental Health Review reinforces a recent YesWeCare.nz survey of 6,000 health workers, which found nine in 10 believe they don't have the staff or resources to deliver the care Kiwis need when they need it. More>>

ALSO:

More Mental Health:


Energy: Greens Launch Plan For Cheaper And Cleaner Electricity

$112 million for winter warm-up payments to help low-income households cover their power bills • setting a goal for 100 percent renewable electricity by 2030 (in average hydrological conditions) • an investigation into the electricity wholesale market. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Aged-Care Settlement

Until yesterday, a National government has always been the sworn enemy of women seeking justice in the workplace, in the face of gender-based pay discrimination. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news