Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


New Children’s Teams announced

New Children’s Teams announced


Social Development Minister Paula Bennett today announced the locations of eight new Children’s Teams that are rolling out over the next year to help transform New Zealand’s child protection system.

Mrs Bennett says Children’s Teams are a key part of the Government’s Children’s Action Plan to reduce child abuse and neglect. They bring together professionals and NGOs from across all the sectors to address the needs of vulnerable children and their families.

Budget 2014 has committed $16.4 million to implementing the Children’s Action Plan. By the end of June 2015, eight new Children’s Teams will be established in:

· Horowhenua
· Marlborough
· Hamilton City
· Clendon/Manurewa/Papakura
· Gisborne
· Whakatane
· Whanganui
· Christchurch
“We know that no social worker, health professional, NGO or iwi can tackle our shocking rate of child abuse alone. This is a community-wide issue and to be successful, it will take a single-minded focus on the child and a different way of working,” says Mrs Bennett.

“Right now, Child, Youth and Family is the service carrying the lion’s share of responsibility for what happens to children and young people at risk of abuse and neglect. That’s because the public perception is that it’s a general child welfare agency, when it’s actually there to deal with the most serious cases.”

“Vulnerable children do need help but they don’t all need a statutory social work response. That’s where Children’s Teams, made up of a connected community of professionals and NGOs, whanau and concerned individuals, can make a real difference.”

“In a Children’s Team, a trained person brings together professionals from health, education, social service agencies and NGOs to work with the child and their family and whanau. The Teams focus on the individual child and make sure the right people are working together and the right services are being delivered to meet the needs of the child,” says Mrs Bennett.

“Last year, the Government took a bold step in setting up two demonstration Children’s Teams that are now supporting over 100 children in Whangarei and Rotorua. These two teams are already changing the lives of the children they support. The experience has provided us with the on-the-ground understanding to roll out further teams around the country.”

“This is about doing the best for all our children, right here and right now. It is about being open to new ways of working and supporting those who are vulnerable and breaking the cycle of abuse.

“Children’s Teams will ensure our children get all the support they need in their communities to thrive, achieve and belong,” said Mrs Bennett.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news