Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Expansion of Youth in Emergency Services scheme

Expansion of Youth in Emergency Services scheme

Youth Affairs Minister Nikki Kaye has today announced an additional $200,000 in funding to expand the Youth in Emergency Services (YES) programme.

“Following the Rotorua pilot at the start of 2013 I announced the YES programme would be extended to six locations, in areas such as Alexandra and Kaikoura. I understand that these programmes have received positive feedback from the coordinators, service volunteers, and young participants,” Ms Kaye says.

“I am pleased to confirm that the programme has been extended to fund a further 20 New Zealand communities between 2014 and 2016.”

To date over 90 per cent of participants reported they have acquired new skills and knowledge and are better prepared for an emergency. They also reported an increased connection to their community and intend to participate in voluntary activity.

“I have been continually impressed with the young people who have participated in the Youth in Emergency Services programme. This project gives young New Zealanders an opportunity to give back to their communities and see first-hand the outstanding job that our emergency services do,” Ms Kaye says.

“They get to learn from some of our most dedicated emergency services personnel including representatives from Civil Defence Emergency Management, fire brigades, ambulance and search and rescue.

“By getting young people to participate in a range of emergency services, we also strengthen the capability of those emergency services and give young people opportunities to show leadership in their communities,” Ms Kaye says.

More information on the YES project can be found on the Ministry of Youth Development website at www.myd.govt.nz

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

9.30om Sunday: Update On Port Hills Fire

“We’ve got the fire under control, but we’ve yet to get a full stranglehold on it,’’ said Incident Controller Richard McNamara. “There’s still a lot of heat in the fire, and a 30-kilometre perimeter to manage.”

He said there was more heavy machinery work to do on containment lines around the fire perimeter and more retardant drops were needed. “That will give us a secure fence between the fire and residential property,” Mr McNamara said. “We need to finish it off now. Having control lines in place is vital.” More>>

 
 

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Welfare: WINZ Breaching Privacy Laws With WINZ Vetting Rules

E tū, the union for security guards, says WINZ may be breaching privacy laws with its new screening process for people visiting WINZ offices. The vetting requires WINZ security guards to check photo ID and whether visitors to WINZ offices have an appointment.More>>

ALSO:

Turnbull Visit: Leaders’ Talks Cement Trade Relations, Science Agreement

Mr English met with Prime Minister Turnbull in Queenstown today to discuss common approaches to bilateral and international issues, including trade and science and innovation. Mr English also thanked Mr Turnbull for Australia’s offer of support for those fighting the fires on the Port Hills in Christchurch. More>>

ALSO:

Youth Guarantee: Upskilling Fund Used For Retraining

News that one in five of the people enrolling in Youth Guarantee already hold qualifications at the level they’re enrolling in highlights the failure of the scheme to reach the disengaged young people it was set up to assist, says Labour’s Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On What Trump May Mean For Us

So far not much effort has been put into tracing the possible implications for New Zealand of the stream of executive orders and tweets that have been pouring from the Oval Office. Unfortunately, we may not simply be drive-by rubberneckers at this car wreck for much longer. More>>

Pike River Select Committee: Solid Energy Chair Talks Resignation Over Re-Entry

Andy Coupe, chair of failed state-owned coal miner Solid Energy, said at a fiery select committee this morning that he would consider resigning if the government orders the company to re-enter the Pike River coal mine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Candidacy Troubles

So its official. Greg O’Connor will indeed be Labour’s candidate in Ohariu and – as also signaled well in advance – the Greens will not be standing a candidate in the electorate. At this point, you have to question the validity of the Greens’ excuse – “we need to change the government” – for tagging along.... More>>

ALSO:

Post-Shooting Security: Guards Say WINZ Safety Protocols Unsafe

“The safety issue has moved from inside WINZ offices to outside where security guards are isolated in front of locked doors with nowhere to retreat if they need help,” says Len. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news