Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


154 more families to stay safe@home

154 more families to stay safe@home

A pilot programme supporting families at risk of serious harm from domestic abuse to stay safely in their own homes will be extended for 12 months, Justice Minister Judith Collins announced today.

Ms Collins says the Government will invest $500,000 to extend the safe@home service for one year from 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015. This funding is part of an overall spend of $5.9 million on grants and services for victims of serious crime funded through the Offender Levy.

“Safe@home has so far helped keep over 400 families safe from domestic abuse without them having to leave their own homes,” Ms Collins says.

“As a result vulnerable women and children avoid the trauma of having to relocate and are instead supported to stay where their established support networks such as neighbours and school friends are.”

Safe@home, delivered by Auckland charity Shine and supported by the Government, helps make victims’ homes safer from attack by replacing glass panelled doors with solid doors, installing security lights and monitored personal alarms, replacing locks and repairing broken windows.

The safe@home service is currently offered in Auckland City, North Shore, Counties Manukau, Tauranga and Christchurch. Today’s announcement will see an extra 154 extra families benefit from the service.

Ms Collins says the $500,000 investment supports the Government’s commitment to making sure victims remain at the heart of our criminal justice system.

“By making homes safer and more secure we are empowering these families and helping to keep them safe from continued violence.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Greens: Oil Drilling Face-Off With Labour

The plan is the second component of the Party’s environmental priority this election: Rivers clean enough to swim in again, and beaches safe from oil spills.

The Green Party loves New Zealand and will create a cleaner environment where our beaches remain open for swimming, not closed for oil spills.

The key policy points in the Green Party’s plan to protect our beaches from oil spills are to:
1. Prohibit deep sea oil drilling;
2. Implement compulsory shipping lanes for coastal shipping;
3. Build Maritime New Zealand’s oil spill response capability; and
4. Introduce a stronger legal framework so that when accidents do happen, the New Zealand taxpayer does not have to pay for the clean-up. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news