Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


$1m to improve special education transport

Hon Nikki Kaye

Associate Minister
of Education


29 May 2014 Media Statement
$1m to improve special education transport

Associate Minister of Education Nikki Kaye today released recommendations to improve Special Education School Transport Assistance (SESTA).

“Last year I established an independent reference group to provide advice on how best to improve SESTA services for special education students,” Ms Kaye says.

The group has been chaired by Graeme Daniel, Principal of Allenvale Special School and President of the Special Education Principals’ Association. Members represent the special education and disability sectors, commercial operators and government.

“I want to thank the Chair and members of the group for their work. There are 14 recommendations in the report that are, or will be, implemented. A further four will be investigated further.

“The recommendations that are being implemented include integration of SESTA into special education students learning plans, changes to driver training, regular audits of services agents, and a review of wheelchair transport regulations.

“A number of the recommendations are already underway and a Ministry of Education work programme is in development to give effect to further changes.

“Around $1 million will be prioritised from baseline funding over five years to support the programme. This complements $1.7 million committed in Budget 2014 to provide in-class teacher aides for an additional 80 students with high health needs.

“I recognise that it is very important to many families using SESTA that they have access to safe, high quality services for their children. I believe that the work of the reference group and the Ministry of Education will lead to better services for special education students and their families,” Ms Kaye says.

The Ministry of Education provides school transport assistance to over 100,000 students each year at an annual cost of more than $170 million, of which $30 million ensures around 6,000 students access SESTA.

A link to the independent reference group report and a summary of its recommendations can be found at www.minedu.govt.nz/sestareferencegroup


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news