Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Successful first three months of laser controls

Successful first three months of laser controls

Associate Health Minister Jo Goodhew says new controls introduced 1 March 2014 restricting the sale of high powered laser pointers are settling in.

“In the last three months, health officers have monitored online auction sites and visited over 80 retailers nationwide to remind them of the ban and to remove high powered lasers from shop shelves,” says Mrs Goodhew.

“The law limits sales of lasers to those under 1mW in power. However, many lasers are still being sold that have either incorrect or no information about their strength.”

The Ministry of Health recently tested 22 suspected high powered lasers, eight of which had no labels, and found 17 were over the legal strength.

“Customs have also seized ten high powered lasers from seven different attempts to bring them into the country,” says Mrs Goodhew.

Concern about laser strikes on aircraft, which have been increasing in recent years, was a key driver for the introduction of the new controls.

“Early data seems to show that the number of laser strikes on aircraft have plateaued at the same level as last year,” says Mrs Goodhew.

To mid-May this year, 37 laser strikes on aircraft have been reported to the Civil Aviation Authority, on a par with the 116 laser strikes recorded for all of 2013.

“Where high powered lasers are needed for legitimate purposes, an application can be made to the Ministry of Health,” says Mrs Goodhew.

“So far, the Ministry has received nine applications to import, supply or acquire a high powered laser pointer, of which five have been approved, and one is still being considered.”

More information on laser pointers, the controls and how to apply for authorisation are available on the Ministry of Health website www.moh.govt.nz


ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS News AlertsNews Alerts
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news