Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


$100,000 for Canterbury Youth Initiative Fund

Hon Nikki Kaye

Minister of Youth Affairs

26 June 2014 Media Statement

$100,000 for Canterbury Youth Initiative Fund

Youth Affairs Minister Nikki Kaye today announced the creation of the Canterbury Youth Initiative Fund, which will provide $100,000 for new initiatives for young Cantabrians.

The Ministry of Youth Development funding will help to kick-start initiatives and events for Christchurch youth, following today’s release of the results of the 2013 Youth Wellbeing Survey, Ms Kaye says.

The funding will help address concerns raised in the survey, led by the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (CERA), which gathered the views of more than 3000 young people aged 12 to 24 across the greater Christchurch region.

“When we look at some comparative data from CERA, the young people of Christchurch seem to be doing better than other groups in some areas – particularly on measures of quality of life and sense of community,” Ms Kaye says.

However, the survey highlighted the need to do more in several areas, Ms Kaye says, such as the development of spaces and places, emotional wellbeing, and future plans and prospects.

“The Canterbury Youth Initiative Fund will focus on these issues by supporting the delivery of a series of initiatives and events developed by, and targeted at, young people across the greater Christchurch region.

“As a result of the earthquakes, the young people of Christchurch City in particular have lost many of the places they used to gather at, as well as sports and recreation facilities.

“With this in mind, the government is providing funding for youth-led initiatives to act as a catalyst for ideas and events in Canterbury. I hope that this will put young people at the heart of some of the innovative initiatives that are happening in Christchurch, and encourage their participation in city life.”

For more details on the Canterbury Youth Initiative Fund, visithttp://www.myd.govt.nz/funding/

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Work, Curfew

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news