Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Cabinet approves earthquake relocation plan

Cabinet approves earthquake relocation plan

Cabinet has approved the Emergency Relocation of Executive Government and Parliament Plan, Civil Defence Minister Nikki Kaye announced today.

The plan outlines the temporary relocation of Executive Government and Parliament to Devonport Naval Base in Auckland under a worst-case scenario, where the impact of a major earthquake in Wellington was so severe that Executive Government and Parliament could not function effectively in Wellington.

“A decision to relocate would be made as a last resort,” Ms Kaye says.

The plan covers the first 14 days following a decision by the Prime Minister to relocate. It identifies triggers that may influence the decision to relocate, and designates roles and responsibilities for government agencies, Members of Parliament, and essential staff to support the functioning of Executive Government and Parliament sitting.

“Cabinet endorsed a high-level concept for an emergency relocation plan earlier this year,” Ms Kaye says.

“The concept and draft plan were tested in April and May through a series of workshops involving officials and Ministers.”

The final plan incorporates key recommendations from the exercise: that the last-resort nature of the plan be given greater emphasis; that provision be made for executive government to operate from different locations whereby selected Ministers may remain in Wellington following the relocation of other Ministers; and that Public Information Management personnel be among the essential staff.

The next steps are to embed the relocation plan into business continuity planning across government, Ms Kaye says, along with informing Members of Parliament and essential staff of their roles and responsibilities.

The plan will be maintained by Parliamentary Service and reviewed every five years.


ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news