Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Lack of Resources Responsible for Latest Attack in Prison

Le’aufa’amulia Asenati Lole-Taylor
Spokesperson for Corrections

July 4, 2014

Lack of Resources Responsible for Latest Attack in Prison

New Zealand First says the stabbing of a 29-year-old prisoner at Spring Hill Corrections Facility is another sign that the Department of Corrections is being underfunded.

“Prison staff need adequate resources to deal with the dangerous and complex situations they face. The National Government knows this but that didn’t stop them from cutting around $40 million from important Corrections services this year,” says Spokesperson for Corrections Le’aufa’amulia Asenati Lole-Taylor.

“The Minister for Corrections continues to boast about a drop in New Zealand’s prison population, and they have used this as an excuse for allocating fewer resources to custodial services and other internal operations.

“This neglectful attitude is what led to the riot in June last year at Spring Hill Corrections Facility, which lasted over 10 hours, caused $10 million in damages, and left guards seriously injured.

“It wasn’t long ago when a Corrections officer died after being seriously assaulted by a prisoner at the same prison.

“This neglect is costing the taxpayer, putting lives in danger.

“New Zealand First recognises that we cannot afford to take short cuts when it comes to our prisons. That’s why we want them to have better resources that are appropriate for the difficult and dangerous work they do.

“This includes adequate safety measures for prison staff, and improved management systems that reflect appropriate rehabilitation and reintegration initiatives. The needs of both Corrections staff and prisoners must be met,” says Mrs Lole-Taylor.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news