Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Strong interest in 3K to Christchurch

Strong interest in 3K to Christchurch

Social Development Minister Paula Bennett says in its very first week, 50 people have taken up the Government’s 3K to Christchurch offer.

“There has been strong interest in the $3.5 million initiative which provides beneficiaries with a one-off payment of $3,000 if they take up a full time job in Christchurch.

“The rebuild is creating thousands of jobs in the city and we are providing unemployed people with the means to move and set up there if they have firm job offers.

“So far, 40 men and 10 women have gone off benefit and into work in Christchurch under the scheme. They have been employed in a range of industries including construction, transport, healthcare and retail.

“We are deliberately targeting young people as the rebuild work provides them with a great opportunity to gain skills that will set them up for live. I’m pleased that 21 of the 50 are under 29 years.

“Concerns about accommodation for these workers are proving unfounded to date. They are finding places to live using their own networks. Some have moved into flats while others are staying with relatives and family.

“Work and Income case managers are providing ongoing in-work support to those who’ve been employed under the scheme. There’s also additional financial assistance to help with work start-up costs for things like equipment and clothing.

“More than 2,000 job seekers around New Zealand have indicated a willingness to move to the ara if they could get jobs, 22% of these are under 25 years.

“As at 25 June 2014 there just under 1,000 vacancies in Christchurch region being managed by Work and Income. With an unemployment rate of 3.4 per cent, there is strong demand for workers in construction, hospitality and retail.

“Budget 2014 has allocated funding to cover 1,000 workers under the scheme. We will be monitoring the up-take and will consider extending the programme if it proves successful in helping with the rebuild while getting people off benefit and into work,” says Mrs Bennett.


· The 3K to Christchurch scheme, which came into effect on 1 July 2014, is open to beneficiaries of all ages, but a particular focus is placed on young people aged 18-24 years.

· To qualify, the job offered must be for more than 30 hours a week, and for longer than 91 days. The payment will be non-taxable, and exempt from an income and asset test.

· If the recipient goes back on benefit within three months of the payment without a sufficient reason, then the payment must be repaid.

· This initiative covers jobs within the geographical areas of Ashburton, Hurunui, Selwyn, and Waimakariri District Councils, and the Christchurch City Council.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news