Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


More kidney transplants expected each year


More kidney transplants expected each year

Health Minister Tony Ryall has announced the government is investing an extra $4 million to establish a National Renal Transplant Service to increase the number of live kidney donor transplantations over the next few years.

Mr Ryall says the shortage of kidneys for transplantation is a serious problem in New Zealand. While there were around 110 kidney transplants last year there are still over 600 people currently waiting for a kidney transplant.

“The new National Renal Transplant Service will be led by doctors and renal transplant experts and will help us better coordinate transplantation services across the country and increase transplant numbers.

“The target is to increase transplants by 10 per year. This will mean an extra 100 people will receive kidney transplants over the next four years.

“The new service includes donor liaison coordinators who will work at each the three transplanting centres and in the seven larger renal services in the country. These coordinators will support donors and recipients throughout the transplantation process, from providing education to interested potential donors to organising blood tests and carrying out pre-surgery preparation.

“The service will also provide increased support for the Paired Kidney Exchange initiative, which allows donor and recipient pairs who are not compatible with each other to be listed for possible swap with other pairs.

“This increase in funding builds on the $4 million investment in Budget 2012 to raise awareness and encourage more people to donate organs.

“Kidney transplants significantly improve the quality of life and the long-term survival of patients with end stage renal disease.

Mr Ryall says we want to give more people who need a transplant, renewed lives, and reduce expensive health care costs, such as dialysis.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

No Voda/Sky: Commission Declines Clearance For Merger

The Commerce Commission has declined to grant clearance for the proposed merger of Sky Network Television and Vodafone New Zealand.

The Commission’s assessment focused on the impact of the proposed merger on competition in both the broadband and mobile telecommunications markets. To grant clearance, the Commission would need to be satisfied that the proposed merger would not be likely to substantially lessen competition in any market in New Zealand. More>>

 

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news